City Gate (Then & Now)
The postcard is from about 1910, and there is no doubt at all about the location, as the old city gate is one of the most well-known sights (and sites) in Saint Augustine. Construction of the walls around the city began in 1704, but the gate wasn't built until 1808. There were heavy iron doors between the two surviving towers, both of coquina like the surrounding walls. The city gate is managed by the National Park Service as part of the Castillo de San Marcos National Monument.
Confidence in location accuracy: 100%
See for yourself: go to the city (St. George Street) side of the gate, on the south side of Orange Street, about 40 feet west of the gate.
We offer a beautiful reproduction postcard of the older image here. The price includes a 51-cent "forever" postcard stamp.
Check out all of our Before & After Images.